Subject: Re: Spherical mapping
From: Christian Graham <[email-masked]>
To: Carl Andrew Johnson <[email-masked]>
Cc: Lightwave <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 1995 09:56:09 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 19 Jul 1995, Carl Andrew Johnson wrote:

> One thing I likes about Steve Worley's application "FORGE" was that it
> generated image maps that were distorted so they would look nice on a
> sphere. Does anyone know of any applications for the Mac, PC or Amiga that
> will do this distortion to a pre-existing image map? I realize that such a
> distortion would cause you to loose data, but I can live with that. Any
> ideas?

For the Amiga side, try Photon Paint (vII I think) a pretty old HAM6 
painting package (only low res images?). This has a very nice wrap brush 
to sphere tool.  Leastways I thought it was nice when I used it on my 
old A500.  I'm not sure if it runs on AGA machines tho'. You can get it 
for as little as 10 U.K. pounds now.

Mac side - a bit more expensive now.  Photoshop and either use one of the
supplied distortion filters (I forget which one - but called something
like spherize), or KPT's(?) glass lens filter (buy KPT's power tools to go
with Photoshop, or you can probably find it on a magazine CDROM or the
Web), or one of the Andromeda series has a 3D filter which lets you map
images partly or wholely on spheres, cubes etc (I'm typing out of memory
for this last one so the company name might be wrong). 

PC side - Photoshop again I guess (I've never used Photoshop on this 
platform). Mega expensive option - 3D Studio will do this - and so will 
Lightwave 4.0 for the PC (?).

Just a few ideas,

Christian.

[email-masked]
--
Christian Graham <[email-masked]> sent this message.
To Post a Message           : [email-masked]
Un/Subscription Requests To : [email-masked]
(DIGEST)                 or : [email-masked]
Administrative Items To     : [email-masked]